BAKER, REMEMBER, whose career makes so prominent a part of early Vermont history, was a proprietor and temporary resident of this town as early as 1768. He built the first grist mill erected in town on land now owned by George Toby. Not long after he was killed by Indians near St. Johns, Canada, at the age of 35.
BAKER, ELIJAH, from Canterbury, Conn., 1786, settled in the south part of the town with three sons Ebenezer, Rufus and Ichabod, who all raised large families. Few of their descendants remain in the vicinity. He died in 1811, aged 86.
BAKER, HARVEY, from Arlington, about 1826, m. Mariettea, da. of CoI. Ozias Clark . He kept store awhile with Dr. Nathan Judson, south of the village, and afterwards, a short time, at the village. He was held high esteem. He removed about 1833 to Oswego Co., N.Y., thence to Whitewater, Wis., where he died in 1864, aged 63.
BALDRIGE, DANIEL, from Rhode Island, about 1785, settled on the present homestead of Henry Smith. He was one of the first Methodists in town. His sons, Daniel, Jr., and Edward succeeded him and raised large families, all but one of whom, Catharine Jones, have left town.
BALDRIGE, JAMES, son of Edward, m. Fanny, da. of Nehemiah Bourn, and succeeded to the homestead. He died in 1862, aged 48. He raised a large family, most of whom, after his death, removed to Rupert. His son, Edwin S., was educated at Union College; James, Jr., is a physician in Rupert; Mary married David R. Smith.
BALDWIN, JEREMY, from Townsend, Mass., 1785, settled with his brother Samuel, near Stephen McFadden’s, whence they removed to Chautauque Co., N.Y. Jeremy died in 1850, aged 84; his widow, who was the widow of Daniel Baldridge, Jr., died in 1852.
BARDEN, LEMUEL, from Dighton, Mass., 1814, succeeded Ephraim Fitch, in the brick hotel at the village, which he kept until about 1830. Though of a rather rough exterior, he was a kind hearted, benevolent man, and would not serve his customers with liquor after he thought they had enough. He died in 1839, aged 81; his wife in 1839, aged 79. His son, John T. Barden, kept the tavern a few years and removed, about 1840, to Chautauque Co., N.Y., where he died some years ago. He married Clara, da. of Nathaniel Harmon, who died in 1830. Next he married Amorette, da. of John Penfield.
BARDWELL, CONSIDER S., from Shelburn, Mass., 1834, m. Mahala, da. of Allen Willis, and settled on the Palmer Cleveland farm. His wife dying in 1841, aged 34, leaving one son, Merritt W. Bardwell; he next married Sally, another daughter of Allen Willis, who died in 1863, aged 57. Next he married Minerva, da. of Lyman Kinney, of Rupert. His farm buildings and surroundings are models of taste and convenience. He has an artificial pond fed by springs gushing from its own bosom, which supplies motive power for machinery and is well stocked with trout. It is a favorite resort for sportsmen from the city. He carries on the edge tool manufacture, and, with his strong right arm, has hammered out a handsome property. He built in 1864, the first cheese factory in the state, which is now run by a dairy association, incorporated in 1865. Peat, said by experts to be of the best quality, is found on his premises, contiguous to the rail road.
BARDWELL, MERRITT W., m. Maggie E., da. of Benjamin Wilson, of Hebron, and occupies the farm of his late grandfather Willis.
BARRETT, ELISHA, came to this town in 1804. He married Sally Uran, and raised a family of four sons, Charles, Elijah, Elisha and Levi. He died in 1828, aged 60; his widow in 1854, aged 79.
BARRETT, ELIJAH, the only one of his father’s family remaining in town, m. Emily McWain, and raised a family of six sons and five daughters. Two of his sons, Charles and Merritt C., enlisted and died in the service.
BATES, JAMES T., from England when a child. His father settled in Rush Hollow. He has long been known as a merchant, traveling and local. He is an independent thinker, and an earnest advocate of all the moral reforms of the day. He passes through our streets in his accustomed rounds, but not so frequently as of old, as the weight of 76 years has bowed his frame and impaired his energies.
BEALL, Rev. ISAAC, from Clarendon, 1800, was the first settled pastor of the First Baptist church, which position he held until 1831. He was a man of great shrewdness and strong intellect, which compensated, in part, for deficiencies in his early education. He was a gentleman of the old school, courteous and affable in his deportment. He built up a thriving church which numbered, at one time, 150 members. The large house in which they worshiped was wont to be well filled. He died in Clarendon in 1833, aged 82; his wife did not long survive
BEEBE, Rev. LEWIS, from Arlington, 1787, was the first settled minister, and obtained the lot of land reserved for that purpose in the charter. He was ordained June 14, 1787, and dismissed May 6, 1791. While living in Arlington, he was a member of the first council of censors, convened in 1785. This council was the most important ever convened in the state, as the task devolved on it of reviewing and recommending the repeal of much of the crude legislation of the seven preceding years. He removed hence to Lansingburgh, N.Y., and abandoned the clerical profession.
BEECHER, Rev. DAVID, a native of Granville, entered on the ministry in the Baptist church over twenty years since. He first settled in Collins, N.Y., thence removed to western Pennsylvania, thence to Harmony, N.Y., and thence in 1859, to West Pawlet, where he assumed the pastorate of the Baptist church, in which his labors have been eminently successful. He married a daughter of Dea. George Hill. His oldest son, Charles, married Althea Congdon, who died in 1866.
BENNETT, AARON, from Canterbury, Conn., about 1784; settled near the present residence of Charles Phillips. He raised a numerous family, many of whose descendants remain in town. His sons, Leonard and Ahira, were well known and respected citizens. The former removed to the west; the latter was drowned in Lake Champlain. He died in 1849, aged 88; his wife in 1842, aged 76.
BENNETT, SAMUEL, from Canterbury, Conn., 1784; settled near his brother Aaron. His only daughter married Benjamin Sage, and raised a family of three sons and one daughter, Samuel, Wesley, who was killed by the premature explosion of a gun on independence day, 1816, and Benjamin, Jr.
BENNETT, BANKS, from Halifax, 1790; settled near Capt. Pratt’s. He suffered acutely from a rheumatic affection, which drew his head down so that it rested on his breast. He died in 1829, aged 88.
BETTS, SELAH, from Norfolk, Conn., 1783; settled on the present homestead of John Betts. He was in the battle of Danbury, Conn., under Gen. Wooster. During the battle, the lock of his gun was shot away, when he coolly remarked, ” They have shot off the lock of my gun,” seized another musket and continued the fight. He died in 1826, aged 68; his wife, Sibel, in 1849, aged 87.
BETTS, JOHN, m. Lydia, da. of Hosea Loveland, and, with his brother Selah, Jr., succeeded to the homestead. He raised a family of six sons and two daughters: Orson F., d. in 1858, aged 34; Marshal, d. in 1856, aged 27; Willis W., Royal C., m. Melissa E. Holmes, and is an attorney at Granville and special judge of Washington county, N.Y., Sidney, who lives in Fort Miller; Franklin, who lives in Poultney; Sibel and Laura.
BIDWELL, JONATHAN, from Glastenbury, Conn., 1810; settled on the John Stark farm. His wife’s name was Betsy Strong. They raised a family of one son and five daughters. Anson, who was instantly killed by falling from a staging, aged about 30; Caroline, m. William Lamb of Wells; Lucy Ann, m. Seth Barton, of Dorset ; Harriet, m. Joseph Gilbert, of Cambridge, and died in early life; Emily, m. Russell Pember, of Wells, and Laura, m. Gerry Brown. Mr. Bidwell died in 1852, aged 74; his wife died in 1839, aged 59.
BIGART, JAMES, a native of Scotland, whence he came when a lad, with his father, to this town. He married Lola, da. of Alvin Goodspeed, of Wells, and kept the Vermont Hotel, at North Pawlet, for several years, closing in 1852, when he removed to Sandy Hill, N.Y. His wife died soon after, when he married a second wife, who recently died. He brought out in 1847, the celebrated horse Rattler, which is noticed in the chapter on Stock.
Information contained on page 112 concerning tavern keepers in Pawlet:
Reuben Smith kept tavern where B.F. Giles now lives, some twenty years, closing in 1832. At north Pawlet a public house was erected some seventy years ago by Bethel Hurd, whose successors have been Joel Simonds, William Stevens, Willard Cobb, Jeremiah Arnold, James Bigart, and perhaps some others. No tavern has been kept here since 1852.
Information contained on page 124 concerning stock (referred to in the above biography):
Horses (Page 124)
Great attention has been given to the rearing of good horses from an early day. The stock of the imported horse Messenger was early introduced, and in so high estimation was it held that all who advertised horses claimed them to be of Messenger extraction. About 1820 Isaac Bishop brought into the vicinity the celebrated Hamiltonian, believed to have been of Messenger blood. From this stock Rattler, one of the best, if not the best horse ever raised in the state, sprung. This horse was bought in 1847, when three years old, of Jacob Burnham, of Middletown, by James Bigart, and, though perhaps inadequately appreciated at home, has won a wide reputation in the western states, in California, and even in South America. One of his colts, second in descent, was sold in Chili, S. A., in 1863, for thirty thousand dollars. When Rattler was four years old, Mr. Bigart offered, for a handsome wager, to trot him against any horse in the state. The offer was not accepted. We are assured by residents of California and Chili, that no stock of horses is held in so high estimation in those countries as his. We believe he is still kept by Mr. Bigart at Sandy Hill, N.Y. Many fine horses are annually sold out of this town, and a handsome revenue derived from their sale. The requirements of the war caused heavy drafts on our stock of horses, and they are now worth, probably, on an average, two hundred dollars each.
BLAKELY, DAVID, from Woodbury, Conn., 1782, settled on the late homestead of his son, Dan Blakely. He was noted for industry, frugality and thrift. He died in 1821, aged 72; his widow, who was an aunt of Gov. Hiland Hall, died in 1831, aged 85.
BLAKELY, Capt. DAVID, Jr., m. Esther, da. of Jacob Edgerton, and settled in the northeast part of the the town. He was in the legislature two years, and has been deacon of the Congregational church since 18__ . Their family consists of six sons and four daughters: Jacob E., Quincy, Hewitt, Martin, Walton and Marshal; Cythera, Maria, Phebe and Ann. Maria m. Silas Moore, who died in La Crosse, Wis ; Phebe m. ______ Norton, of Tinmouth: Ann, m. John Horr, of Brookline, Mass.
BLAKELY, Rev. JACOB E., Pastor of the Congregational church in Poultney, died in 1854, aged 34; Rev. Quincy Blakely, pastor of the Congregational church in Hampton, N. H.; Hewitt, m. Mary, da. of John Harwood, is a merchant at Northville, N.Y. ; Martin m. Philinda Branch, and died in 1849, aged 30 ; his widow in 1860, aged 40 ; Walton m. Angenette Horr, of Castleton ; Marshal m. Mary Aikin, da. of Dr. Aikin, and removed to Rutland.
BLAKELY, DAN, succeeded to the homestead, m. Hannah, da. of Jacob Edgerton, and raised a family of five sons and two daughters: Fayette, who married Abby H. Lasell, Hiland H., Sheldon, A. Judson, Collins, Franklin; Almira, who married Curtis Reed, and Mary. He died in 1862, aged 69. He was a public spirited and influential citizen, and for many years took a leading part in the business and religious interests of the town.
BLAKELY, JONATHAN, from Conn., 1785, m. Margaret, da. of Christopher Billings, and settled at the village. He died in 1845, aged 70; his widow, who was a woman of rare worth and devoted to deeds of kindness, died in 1863, aged 85. Their son, Billings Blakely, was favorably known as hotel keeper at Troy, Saratoga and Union Village, N.Y., at which latter place he died in 1864, aged 66. Anna, who married Jonathan Randall, is the only survivor of the family.
BLAKELY, ROBERT, from Ireland, 1832, came to this town with no capital and a dependent family. By close application to the woolen manufacturing business he has secured a handsome competency. His wife died in 1862, aged 58. He raised a family of four children: William, m. Abigail Eldred, and settled at the village; Robert, who was educated at Union College, died in 1863, aged 30; Mary, who married Enoch Colvin, and Margaret, who married Seth B. Pepper, of Castleton.
BLOSSOM, Capt. SETH, from Falmouth, Mass:, 1783, m. Elizabeth Henshaw, and settled on the present homestead of Smith Hitt. He was an active and worthy citizen. He removed with his large family to Batavia, N.Y., in 1829, and died in 1845, aged 82. Dea. Benjamin Blossom, of _______ Mich., and Abigail, wife of Arthur Toby, of Pittsford, N.Y., are his only surviving children.
BLOSSOM, DAVID C., from Wells, 1816, m. Lucy, da. of Daniel Goodrich, and settled on the Timothy Allen farm, where he lives, retired from business, at the age of 83. His wife died in 1852, aged 65. They raised a family of seven children: Pauline, Anna, Laura, David G., Hiram S., Henry and Bethiah. Pauline m. John Upham, Winooski ; Anna m. Orson Goodrich, Richmond and died in 1839, aged 48; Laura m. CoI. Lee T. Rowley; of Granville, N.Y., died in 1855, aged 41 ; Hiram, m. Jane Woodward and died in 1852, aged 32 ; Henry m. Sarah Stevens and removed to Chicago; Bethiah m. Orson Goodrich, Richmond. David G. Blossom, the only one remaining in town, m. Fidelia Goodrich, and succeeded to the homestead, on which he has just erected an elegant and convenient house.
BLOSSOM, WILLIAM, from Wells, 1844, m. Phebe, da. of David Lewis, and settled on the Samuel Wright place. They raised a family of four children: Benoni, who married Lucia, da. of Gideon A. Loomis ; William, who married Paulina, da. of Paul Hulett, who died in 1852, aged 32; next married Mary I., da. of Charles Lamb, of Middletown, Joseph, who married Paulina, da. of Orlin Hulett,. and died in 1863, aged 43, and Rebecca, who married Pomroy Wells, of Poultney
BONNEY, Rev. ELIJAH, from Hadley, Mass., 1844, succeeded Rev. Dr. Plumb in the pastorate of the Congregational church. Reserved and circumspect in his deportment, his public efforts evinced careful preparation. In his private and pastoral relations he was highly esteemed. He married Jane, da. of Asa S. Jones. He is now in Vernon, N.Y.
BOSTWICK, HENRY, kept the village hotel several years. Of late he is well and favorably known as stage driver and express man, from Pawlet to Granville, N.Y.
BOYNTON, ALBERT A., from Manchester; 1843, m. Hannah D., da. of Jacob Lyon, and settled in 1865, on the Elisha Allen farm.
BRACE, Hon. JONATHAN, from Glastenbury, Conn., 1780. He was probably the first attorney in town, a man of commanding talents and contributed largely to set the machinery of society in order. He settled near the present residence of James Leach, the contemplated site at that day of the county buildings. He was a member of the council of censors in 1785. In a few years he returned to Connecticut, where he became distinguished in his profession and in public life.
BRANCH, DANIEL, from Norwich, Conn., 1784, settled in the northeast part of the town, on the present homestead of Samuel Thompson; his numerous descendants have mostly left town. He died in 1822, aged 86 ; his wife in 1812, aged 73.
BRANCH, JOSEPH, son of Daniel, was an active business man and for several years ran a line of stages from Burlington to New York and also from Albany to Buffalo. He died in 1853, aged 73.
BRANCH, MINER, son of Daniel, m. a sister of Rev. Dr. Nathaniel Colver, of Boston. She was an aunt of Hon. Erastus D. Colver, late minister to Venezuela. The family left town many years since.
BREWSTER, Rev. TIMOTHY, from Norwich,. Conn., settled on the Ezra Andrus homestead, in 1784. He was licensed to preach by the Baptist church in 1791. He removed to Ellisburg, N.Y., in 1813, and became pastor of the Baptist church in that place. He lived to a great age and frequently visited this town.
BROMLEY, Capt. LOVINE, from Danby, 1811, m. Nancy da. of Daniel Hulett, and settled on the Joseph Fitch farm. He died in 1842, aged 49. He raised a family of ten children: Daniel H., who married Lucy Thompson and is a merchant at the village and was two years in the legislature; Amos W., m. Laura B. Robinson; George W., a physician, m. Angenette, da. of Philip Clark, and lives in Huntington; Jerome B., m. Laura B., da. of Fitch Clark, was state’s attorney for the county in 1865 and 1866; Adams L., m. Harriet, da. of Fitch Clark, who died in 1861, aged 38; next m., Mrs. Mary Phelps, da. of Dorastus Fitch, who is the only representative of the families of Moses Porter and Joseph Fitch, left in town; Fayette m. Alta, da. of Edward Herrick, and occupies the homestead; Henry, the youngest son is blind, has received an education at the asylum for the blind in Boston.
BROWN, Capt. MILTON, from Attleboro, Mass., 1815, m. Eunice, da. of John Guild, and settled near the cotton factory, of which he was agent some 30 years. He was in the legislature three years and a director of the bank of Manchester 25 years and for several years its president. He was deacon of the Congregational church from 1844 until he left for Potsdam, N.Y., in 1853.
BROWN, ELIJAH, from Stamford, Conn., 1783, settled on the late homestead of his son Gerry Brown. He was an industrious and useful citizen. He died in 1835, aged 77; his first wife, Phebe, who was the mother of his children, died in 1817, aged 57; his second wife, Esther, da. of Elijah Stevens, died in 1832, aged 55. He raised a family of seven children: Seth, who married _____Shepherd, removed to Clyde, N.Y.; Russell, Seely, David, who died in 1830, aged 33; Polly, died in 1836, aged 42; Amanda. married Gideon A. Loomis, and died in 1835, aged 42, and Gerry, noticed below.
BROWN, GERRY, m. Laura, da. of Jonathan Bidwell and succeeded to the homestead. He died in 1864, aged 63. They raised three children: Selden S., who married Densia, da. of Washington G. Wait and succeeded to the homestead; Celestia, who married Dewitt C. Wait, and died in 1858, aged 22, and Castera.
BROWN, RUSSELL, m. Betsey, da. of Jared Wilcox, who died in 1821, aged 33, leaving three children: Marshal, Maria and Jane. Next he married Laura Loveland, and died in 1825, aged 39. Maria m. Samuel G. Guilford, of Middle Granville; Jane m. Sidney Wright, now of Cambridge, N.Y.
BROWN, SEELY, 2d, m. Lydia, da. of Jared Wilcox, and died in 1836, aged 47; his wife in 1817, aged 27. Their only daughter, Lydia, m. Horace Crofoot, and died 1841, aged 25.
BROWN, SEELY, from Stamford, Conn., 1780; m. Jemima, da. of Capt. Benoni Smith, and settled just north of the old Baptist church. He was an enterprising and liberal citizen, and gave to the West Pawlet meeting house company the site for the church, parsonage and cemetery. He built, at the Falls near by, a saw mill and clover mill. He died in 1809, aged 50; his widow, who married Capt. Ephraim Robinson, died in 1834, aged 66. None of the family remain in town.
BURCH, PORTER, from Granville, 1866; settled on the Abraham Woodard place, near the depot, West Pawlet.
BURT, GEORGE W., from Northumberland, N.Y., 1855, m. Cordelia, da. of David F. Hammond, and settled in 1867, on the Isaac Wickham place.
BURTON, Dr. SIMON, after assisting in the organization of Arlington, became the first settler of this town. On account of his being the first settler, the proprietors voted him fifty acres of land, though tradition has it that it was given to his wife, as the first white woman who ever set foot in town. He was town or rather proprietor’s clerk in 1769, the oldest record in existence. He lived to a good old age, at North Pawlet, and died about 1810. He was interred in the village cemetery, but no stone marks the spot.
BUSBEE, Capt. JEREMIAH, from Danby, m. Dorcas, daughter of James Bassford, and has been village tailor some forty years. He was selectman ten years, only one man, Simeon Edgerton, Jr., holding the office longer than he.
BUSHNELL, Dea. BENAJAH, was an early settler on the farm now owned by Jacob Lyon. He was an honored member of society and held in high esteem. He died in 1814, aged 71 ; his wife in 1814, aged 73.